About Global Volunteer Month:
Global Volunteer Month is an opportunity to celebrate the impact of volunteer service and the power of volunteers to tackle society’s greatest challenges, to build stronger, more vibrant communities, and to take action that changes the world.
Over the past year, we have seen a renewed energy for civic engagement as people around the world use their voice and actions to respond to a global pandemic, racial justice, and social equity. A monthlong celebration of volunteer service, Global Volunteer Month provides the perfect opportunity to shine a light on the individuals and organizations that are making a difference in their communities. To do this, we have activated our Points of Light Global Network to provide resources for everyone to get involved in Global Volunteer Month:
- Learn: Explore our resources and recommendations on volunteerism for individuals who want to volunteer from inside their homes or in-person.
- Find: Search our database for virtual volunteer opportunities and DIY projects that you can do from your home, and contact your local Points of Light affiliate (Spark the Change Colorado) to learn what your community needs.
- Share: Inspire others with the stories of people who are taking part in virtual volunteerism or uplifting their communities in new and inventive ways by posting on social media, sharing how you’re being a local point of light in your community, and using the hashtag #GlobalVolunteerMonth.
Weekly Themes & Storytelling:
Each week will have a broad theme that aligns with one of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. Spark the Change will be sharing related content in accordance with these weekly themes:
- April 1-4: Education
- April 5-11: Human & Civil Rights
- April 12-18: Poverty & Inequality
- April 19-25: Environment
- April 26-30: Health & Wellness
Resources for Individuals- Get Involved!:
- Points of Light Global Network
- DIY Volunteer Projects
- Learn about easy DIY volunteer projects that people of all ages can complete in their spare time.
- Volunteer Virtually in Your Community
- Sign up to receive the Points of Light: Civic Life Today Magazine to learn about ways to stay civically engaged in your community!
- Corporate Resources
Volunteer with Spark the Change Colorado!
- Senior Companion Volunteers Visits
- The Senior Companion Program engages individuals 55+ years old to realize the independence of older adults in their home and as a team, continue to be vibrant, contributing members of our communities.
- Mental Wellness Program- Volunteer Therapist
- Our Mental Wellness Program matches licensed and insured mental health practitioners (or those seeking licensure under supervision) with low income Coloradoans who lack access to mental health care.
- Mental Wellness Program- Volunteer Clinical Supervisor
- Volunteer Supervisors needed for licensure candidates and graduate interns.
- Kind Connections Telephone Volunteer
- We are seeking volunteers who are looking to connect with people who would like a friendly connection and someone to talk with to combat loneliness during the pandemic.
- Harvest Pack Volunteer
- Fight hunger in your local community with Harvest Pack! Volunteers pack meals at volunteer service day events. Events have been altered to safely accommodate volunteers, while adhering to social distancing and PPE requirements. Find out more on our website and sign up to pack meals for those in need today!
- Or Volunteer with one of our Member Organizations!
Visit our Volunteer Page here to Sign Up or Express Interest.
Nominate an Outstanding Volunteer!
Volunteers are the heart of our community and are a precious resource to nonprofit organizations. The vital work of volunteers throughout the Denver metropolitan community is recognized through the Minoru Yasui Community Volunteer Award.
Minoru Yasui was most well-known for his courageous stand against military orders that resulted in the forced removal and imprisonment of over 110,000 persons of Japanese ancestry during World War II, but his entire life was committed to the defense of human and civil rights, and justice for all.
The award, presented eight times a year, honors men and women who make unique contributions to the community. The recipient receives a $2,000 cash award to designate to a non-profit agency of their choice.
Visit our website to learn more or submit a nomination!
How Can You Stay Informed?
- Join our Volunteer Email List to receive regular updates on volunteer opportunities, news, and stories!
- Become a Registered Volunteer on our site and find hundreds of opportunities near you!
- Schools & Nonprofit Organizations can Become a Member with Spark the Change Colorado to receive assistance with volunteer recruitment, discounts on events and trainings, and much more! Join the Email List here.
- Corporate Companies can connect with CSR Solutions of Colorado to find ways to become more civically engaged and community minded.
- View our new Monthly Volunteer Guide! The March Issue is now available.